Low Residency – Day 4 – Sound Workshop

During the Sound Workshop with Ed Kelly Sharktracks.co.uk we experimented with recording sound using field recorders and then editing sound using Audacity.

Ed spoke about the field Recorder the Zoom H1 and the Quadraphonic Field Recorder Zoom H2. He encouraged us to consider sound events when recording sound and we experimented with removing Hiss from the audio.

Before we recorded the sound we set the audio levels on the devices so that the sound being recorded was at an appropriate level.

Some of the features we experimented with in Audactity were:

  • Noise Reduction
  • At Zero Crossings
  • Clip Reduction
  • Fade tool
  • Paul Stretch
  • Change Speed – metallic sounds increase size
  • Enveloping pro rechargeable batteries
  • Harmonics and Middle C (Potential to use my Tuning Forks)

I am more concerned with impercetible sounds in my recordings and this was my focus during the workshop, although I did record some sounds in the stairwell and then some smaller sounds. Here are some of the experimental audio tracks I created during the workshop.

Sound Box

As part of my Project Proposal is to experiment more with audio I have created a sound box to use when recording minute sounds. Here’s what I did: –

Firstly I purchased foam board, egg trays to create the sound boards. I also purchased a rubber matting that I could use for the base of the sound box. Perfect opportunity for some egg tray photographs – of course.

Having cut the foam board down to size I then attached the egg trays to the foam board using hot glue to create the sound boards.

This was followed by removing the outer lip of the egg trays to provide a space where the boards could be placed together. I then used velcro to attach the boards together so that that they can be taken apart and stored easily.

I can’t wait to use this to help me when recording minute – almost inaudible sounds.

Reflection

The best thing I did would have to be applying the glue to the egg boxes and not the foam board – this meant it was much easier to stick down and stay together.

The velcro is not the best option for holding the boards together – a bit flimsy – but does the job in the meantime. My initial idea was to create a frame using PVC corner lengths – this is still going to happen. I allowed someone else opinion on this to take precedence over my own judgement – other peoples opinions are not always better.

If I was doing this again, I would definitely create the frame first – and I would also cut the egg boxes smaller in the first instance  and not after the fact.

Planning would be the thing that I would do in the future to improve the outcome. I didn’t find this boring or tedious – it was just a task I needed to do to get to a point where I can deaden the sound around my microphone. – I could have also purchased a sound box – but I wanted to make my own.

Last but not least another edited image of my lovely sound box.

img_4584