While on my site visits I collect some fragments of buildings that had previously been underwater- only small rusty metal parts and broken pottery that most would overlook – however in these broken remains I see the life that these objects once had and the representation of the lost communities and the collective memories having become distorted – no longer like their original state – a metaphor for our own personal memories that become distorted over time.
I’m still experimenting with latex and wanted to see what objects I could produce that show the essence of the space that the object once inhabited.
So I decided to use the slate as a base for these objects – not my best idea in terms of a well thought out process yet I continued anyway.
Some of the objects were and immediate fail moving as I painted them – yet I managed to gain some success with this experiment.
The more successful ones after three coats I covered with fabric before adding an extra two coats.
Partly here I succumbed to my lack of patience and removed them the same day – with some success but overall pleased with the outcome.
What I particularly like is that the latex has really taken on remnants of the rust and dirt on the objects and that this has lead the imprints to become metaphorical in their own right.
The less successful ones I rescued and continued with a new experiment with ink jet paper in Fragments and Latex – Part 2 – Prints
Still to experiment with a pouring method.
I began this work early in the morning and my head wasn’t really in the right space, so I struggled to get the objects to stay still on the slates and in fact this reduced the number of final objects completed.
I would definitely find a way of fixing these objects to the surface prior to painting the latex on and indeed plan to experiment with pouring latex around the object so as to fix them in place early on.
I definitely enjoy working with latex and like the way that it takes on rust and dirt from the object you are casting.
The overall effect I am happy with and I like the effect of the space that the object had inhabited creating the essence of negative space akin to the work of Rachel Whiteread where she casts the space around the objects of her attention.
The most tedious and challenging aspect of this work for me is waiting for it to dry enough to apply additional layers and then to finally cure. This really challenges my lack of patience.